The Good Women of China
I know this really isn't the time to indulge in blogging (Yes, I know I have heaps of work to do.), but reading this book (Yes, I took the time to read a book instead of doing my work) really... 'wow'ed me so much that I feel that I have to share this, with EVERYONE.
I first saw this book at Borders, and it didn't really catch my attention. The cover is plain white, with just a red circle and a Chinese character 'nu' (meaning female) written on it. Eric however, brought it to my attention that this book received good reviews, so I bought it (It was on offer anyway). It had been sitting on my shelf inconspicuously for several weeks, and each time I looked for a book to read, I would ignore it with ease.... until yesterday. I was looking for a short read (Obviously I know I am too busy to read something too lengthy, but I still need to read!) and my attention was brought to this thin, modest book.
The moment I opened this book to read its content, I know that I am in for a surprise. One can never imagine the anguish and horror of the characters found inside the book. It showed me a side of China that I have never known about. Aware that my father was in China during that period of time (The Cultural Revolution), I asked him about life back then in China. The tales I heard were shocking. I can't find the word for it. All I can say is, I was so 'wow'ed by it. (Ok, I am repeating, I know!)
Anyway, I should not reveal too much of what is written in the book. It is a good book, and I really read it cover to cover! From the Author's Note to the Acknowledgements...not a single word was missed. The point is, read it! If you can't find it, Borrow it! (If you recall, I do have the book)
Did I not state a reason for recommending this book? Urm, I guess it would be... Well, I never imagined myself to be EXTREMELY lucky until I read this book. It made me realised that I have so much! Education, love, family, a great job, a good government, and best of all, PEACE. Appreciate what you have!
I first saw this book at Borders, and it didn't really catch my attention. The cover is plain white, with just a red circle and a Chinese character 'nu' (meaning female) written on it. Eric however, brought it to my attention that this book received good reviews, so I bought it (It was on offer anyway). It had been sitting on my shelf inconspicuously for several weeks, and each time I looked for a book to read, I would ignore it with ease.... until yesterday. I was looking for a short read (Obviously I know I am too busy to read something too lengthy, but I still need to read!) and my attention was brought to this thin, modest book.
The moment I opened this book to read its content, I know that I am in for a surprise. One can never imagine the anguish and horror of the characters found inside the book. It showed me a side of China that I have never known about. Aware that my father was in China during that period of time (The Cultural Revolution), I asked him about life back then in China. The tales I heard were shocking. I can't find the word for it. All I can say is, I was so 'wow'ed by it. (Ok, I am repeating, I know!)
Anyway, I should not reveal too much of what is written in the book. It is a good book, and I really read it cover to cover! From the Author's Note to the Acknowledgements...not a single word was missed. The point is, read it! If you can't find it, Borrow it! (If you recall, I do have the book)
Did I not state a reason for recommending this book? Urm, I guess it would be... Well, I never imagined myself to be EXTREMELY lucky until I read this book. It made me realised that I have so much! Education, love, family, a great job, a good government, and best of all, PEACE. Appreciate what you have!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home