My BLOG

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Spoilt

Yesterday I received a call from my boss. The boss from my part time job. He told me to find someone for this weekend, preferably a female, to work for four hours both on Saturday and on Sunday. The pay is pretty good, $8 per hour, and the job scope is pretty okay. I mean, if I were available for work, I would definitely go for it. (By the way, the reason why I am not available for work is that I am already working this weekend) It is really that attractive.

So I got down to work and went through my phone list. Being the good friend that I am, I called my closest girlfriends first, to ask them if they are interested. The first one said, "I can't, I've got something on." The second one said, "It's a good deal, but no, I want to go out with my boyfriend." The third said, "No, I can't, I've got an appointment." Everyone is not willing to give up whatever they have to be doing, which I believe to be some leisurely activities, for a job that pays $8 per hour! And the thing is you only have to work for four hours, which means to say you would have the rest of the day free! Is that not good enough?

After having tried and failed asking people who do not need jobs, I turn my attention to people who have called me previously to ask me if I have any work for them to do. I called another three. The first one said,"I've already found a job." The second one said,"No I can't, I've got something on." The third said,"It's very good money, but I've got to do something really important." Look, if you are not interested in working, don't call me to ask me for work! I was beginning to wonder if I would ever be able to find someone for the job. I figured I would look very not-resourceful if I return with a negative answer. So I went through my phone book again and call up everyone who is willing to wear a skirt, but still to no avail.

Then I thought of my sister. She is the kind that would rather watch TV than study when she is at home. I told her about the job and guess what she said? She said, "I can't, my exams are coming soon, I have to study." This is actually a lie. However, in order to prevent myself from getting blamed if she flunks any subject, I let her go. The actual reason why she gave an excuse not to work was because she thinks the rates are too low. What a spoilt brat.

Finally I sought the help of my other half. He happened to be in the company of someone who fits the description. As I was told later, at the mention of a part time job, her face lit up. And at the mention of the attractive rate of $8 per hour, you can see the dollar signs in her eyes. And guess what? I got her the job. What makes her different from everyone else who rejected me?

Could it be that my friends are so spoilt that they refuse to give up their playtime for work on weekends? Or is it that they do not feel that the rates are good enough? I guess I would never figure it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home